Exam Schedule and Registration
Occupational Licensing Exam Information and Requirements
- Schedule to Take an Exam
- Computer-Based Testing (CBT)
- Paper-Based Testing
- Testing Methods
- Exams Offered
- Application Details
- TCEQ Exam Application Fee and Payment
- Exam Day Policy
- Retaking an Exam
- Special Accommodations for a Disability
Registration is required to sit for an exam -- Walk-ins are not allowed. Please visit the following TCEQ regional office registration form webpages to register for taking a paper-based test:
Regional Offices do not offer CBT exams.Find Testing Location
Find the nearest location to take an exam by Exam TypeBack to Top
We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the CBT opportunities. If the CBT exam you need is not offered or you are not able to take computer based examinations, the paper-based exams are offered in the regional offices.
Visit the Computer-Based Testing webpage for more information. Some of the benefits are:
- Immediate exam score!
- Immediate exam analysis feedback!
- Faster receipt of licenses!
- Immediate retesting available!
Many Computer-Based Testing exams are available in the following exam locations:
- Amarillo (1)
- Arlington (4)
- Austin (11)
- Brownsville (15)
- Bryan (9)
- Fort Worth (4)
- Galveston (12)
- Houston (12)
- Huntsville (12)
- Kileen (9)
- Nacogdoches (10)
- San Antonio (13)
- Texarkana (5)
- Texas City (12)
- The Woodlands (12)
- Victoria (14)
- Weatherford (4)
- Wichita Falls (3)
Classroom Regional Paper-based Exam: Preregistration is REQUIRED to take an exam at one of our regional offices and seating is limited. No walk in applicants will be allowed to take an exam. Register for a paper-based exam for the Region you wish to take the exam in and choose an exam type and date to register for this type of exam.
CBT is not offered at TCEQ Regional Offices.Back to Top
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT) - written portion only
- Customer Service Inspector (CSI)
- Irrigation Technician
- Leaking Petroleum Storage Tank Specialist (LPST)
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
- On-Site Sewage Facility Maintenance Provider (OSSF MP)
- Water Treatment Specialist (WTS)
- Underground Storage Tank Contractors(UST)
Most exams are also offered through Computer-Based Testing. Visit the Computer-Based Testing website for a complete list of available exams.
- The Landscape Irrigation Exams, Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Exams and many of the On-Site Sewage Facility Exams are administered by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX). Review the TEEX webpage for the availability and locations of these specific exams.
- For information regarding "A" Water and Wastewater Exams, contact TCEQ at 512-239-6133 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Obtain an Exam Application
- Applicants taking an exam through Computer-Based Testing are required to submit an application and receive approval prior to taking an exam.
- Applicants taking a Paper-Based exam do not need to request an application prior to taking the exam. Exam applications will be provided the day of the exam.
Supplemental Application Documentation
Supporting supplemental documentation may be required, such as a copy of a certificate of completion for each correspondence course, certificate of completion for unverified training, college transcripts used for experience substitution, and/or current out-of-state license (if applying for reciprocity). All statements and qualifications provided by each applicant are subject to verification.
If TCEQ staff determines that the original application did not contain all relevant information then the application will be considered deficient and the applicant will be required to submit supplemental information for consideration. The applicant must submit this information within 120 days of notification of deficiency, or the examination, application and fee will become invalid.Back to Top
TCEQ Exam Application Fee and Payment
The occupational licensing exam application fee is $111, which must be received prior to taking the exam. This fee may be made pre-paid online prior to the exam or a check/money order will be accepted the day of the exam. If the application fee is paid online, the applicant must bring a receipt of payment to the exam location. Cash payments are not accepted. The application fee is valid for one year or four exams, whichever comes first. All fees are non-refundable.Please note that:
- if you arrive at an exam session for an initial exam (not a re-test) without proof of payment, check, or money order, you will be turned away from the exam; and
- if we receive an application without proof of payment, check, or money order, the application will not be processed until that payment is received.
Computer-Based Testing requires the application fee to be submitted with the application.
Pre-Paying Online for Your Exam
Pre-paying online for an exam is strongly recommended. To pre-pay for your exam please use ePay , the TCEQ's online payment application. Print out your receipt and bring a copy of it with you on the day of your exam as proof of payment.
For guidance on how to navigate the ePay system, please see Using TCEQ ePay to Pay Licensing Application Fees.Back to Top
Exam Day Policy
Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your exam time (unless otherwise specified by the Region).
The Following items are NOT allowed in the exam room:
- Hats/Jackets (if items such as coats are necessary due to weather, they must be placed with the proctor);
- Electronic Equipment (cell phones, pagers, two-way radios, all devices with a camera, etc.);
- Food or Drinks (except for 8 hour exams); and
- Study Guides/Notes (with the exception of MSW A & B).
The Following items ARE allowed in the exam room:
- Basic Calculators;
- Number 2 pencils;
- Government Issued ID;
- Check/ Money Order/E-Pay Receipt;
- Confirmation of Exam Registration/Training Certificates;
- Re-test/Deficiency Letters; and
- MSW A & B Study Guides/Notes.
With the exception of "A" exams, there are NO lunch or restroom breaks allowed.Back to Top
To cancel a scheduled exam you must contact the regional office in which you were scheduled.Back to Top
If an approved applicant fails the exam they may retake the test a maximum of three times within one year of the original examination date. Retesting is possible as soon as an approved applicant receives a notice of failing the exam in the mail or by CBT, provided TCEQ has an approved application and the testing center can accommodate the retest. After the fourth unsuccessful test in the one-year period, the applicant will need to submit a new application and fee.Back to Top
Special Accommodations for a Disability
If you have a disability and need special accommodations when you take a licensing exam, please fill out the special accommodations request form before you register for the exam. By contacting us in advance, you will help us make sure that we have the accommodations you need in place on the day of your exam. Contact TCEQ at 512-239-6133 or email@example.com.
Note: Do not register for your exam until you have been approved for your special accommodation request.Back to Top
Topics Under this Category
Take your license examination on a computer!